That same day, one of our teachers had a rather hilarious baking mishap when she attempted to make a new recipe of cookies for her class. We've included her "ode to a cookie" below, and a delicious tried and proven sugar cookie recipe at the bottom of this post.
A CHRISTMAS COOKIE TALE
Once upon a time,
A teacher set out to bake
Cookies for the class party.
The best, yes she would make.
She got her shapes together
Mixed ingredients all by hand
"These will be,
She said aloud
"the best cookies in all the land!"
Alas! The batter was all wrong
Right from the very start.
And when they came out from the oven,
They crumbled, fell apart!
The snowman had a broken nose,
The gingerbread cooked through.
No shapes were left to recognize
No dough left for batch two!
She took a bite--oh, not so bad
Stacked crumbles in a row
And suddenly just like a flash,
She knew where the cookies would go.
"I'll bring these to my students
tell them of my bakers plight
So they may laugh and hopefully,
Still try a tiny bite."
The BEST Sugar Cookie Recipe (child-proof!)
- 1 Cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 Cup granulated white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 150° C.
- Cream butter and sugar until smooth.
- Beat in extracts and egg.
- In a separate bowl combine baking powder with flour and add a little at a time to the wet ingredients. The dough will be very stiff. Wet your hands and finish off kneading the dough by hand.
- DO NOT CHILL THE DOUGH. Divide into workable batches, roll out onto a floured surface and cut.de
- Bake for 6-8 minutes. Let cool on the cookie sheet until firm enough to transfer to a cooling rack.
|The finished product! Buttery, sugary and perfect with hot cocoa by the tree.|